[slime-devel] SBCL I/O streams broken?

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Mon Jun 21 07:30:01 UTC 2004

I've been having a lot of trouble with I/O to SBCL through slime
recently.  This is on PPC, using either :sigio or :fd-handler
communication style, and dedicated-output-stream either t or nil.

It's easy for me to reproduce (Slime as of fifteen minutes ago,
SBCL 0.8.11.14):

CL-USER> (inspect nil)

The object is a SYMBOL.
0. Name: "NIL"
1. Package: #<PACKAGE "COMMON-LISP">
2. Value: NIL
3. Function: "unbound"
4. Plist: NIL
> 0
0
0
00
0
0
90

<C-c C-c, select the second to bottom-most reset>
; Evaluation aborted

The second to bottom-most one (usually an abort, but not TOPLEVEL) seems
the most reliable to clear it up.

What's worse is when (as happens on SBCL/PPC sometimes) you get a
recursive debug when the backtrace fails, it drops you into a TTY
debugger in the Slime REPL.  Since you can't interact with it, and it's
difficult to get another SLDB debugger to come up, this is kind of bad.

I'm not sure when this started.

Also, is there any way to get the slime version anymore?  The date no
longer appears at the top of a repl, which is kind of annoying since it
was easy to identify what era of slime you were working with.

-bcd
--
*** Brian Downing <bdowning at lavos dot net>