[slime-devel] Re: What is the difference between different ways to evaluate lisp forms?

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Jun 21 06:33:33 UTC 2004

Anders Conradi <beque at telia.com> writes:

> If I start slime using openmcl 0.14.2-p1 on jaguar (mac os 10.2) I get
> different behaviours that I can't explain when I evaluate lisp forms
> fin different ways.
>
> I get one behaviour when I type C-x C-e after the form in the
> *slime-repl* buffer or when I type the form at the prompt and press
> enter and another behaviour when I type C-x C-e after the form in the
> *inferior-lisp* buffer.

Here are the cases:

  `C-x C-e' should be the same in every buffer, except that some
  buffers have different Lisp packages associated with them than
  others. In a default OpenMCL configuration it will evaluate each
  `C-x C-e' in a new thread.

  Entering the expression at the REPL is the same except that it
  always uses the same thread, i.e. one thread is dedicated to
  evaluating REPL expressions.

  If you enter it at the *inferior-lisp* prompt then you are bypassing
  SLIME entirely. It will evaluate in the same way as OpenMCL does
  when running without SLIME.

> The form in question opens a cocoa-window using a window-controller
> that is supposed to release the window when the window is closed. The
> problem is that the window is only released and deallocated when I
> evaluate the form to open the window from the inferior-lisp buffer by
> typing C-x C-e, not in the other cases.

I can't account for this. You're definitely pressing `C-x C-e' and not
return in *inferior-lisp*? Can you give any more details?

-Luke