[slime-devel] SLIME User Survey

Klaus Harbo klaus at harbo.net
Sun Jun 20 16:08:04 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Which Lisp versions do you use SLIME with?

Until very recently weeks ago, my main Lisp was cmucl 18e, but I
recently spent the $$$ to buy Lispworks for Windows Pro (v4.3.7).

> Which Emacs versions?

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (on OpenBSD v3.2)

> How well does SLIME work for you?

Well, it worked flawlessly for me on cmucl, but I have never been able
to get it work properly with Lispworks.  See below.

> What bugs (reproducible or otherwise) or missing features annoy you?

I run Lispworks on WinXP and Emacs on my OpenBSD box.  SLIME
occassionally provokes an error: The Lispworks debugger says 'Error in
thread "control-thread"', "PROCESS-WAIT called when scheduling not
allowed".

Note that I run Lispworks on Windows XP and Emacs on my OpenBSD box.
I strongly suspect that the problem is related to Lispworks
multiprocessing.  To start SLIME I defined

  (defun init-slime ()
    (setf swank::*loopback-interface* "192.168.2.16") ; Windows XP IP addr
    (setf swank::*use-dedicated-output-stream* nil)
    (swank:create-swank-server 4005
                               swank::*communication-style*
                               #'swank::simple-announce-function
                               t))

which I call to setup the swank server.  After that, M-x
slime-connect.  This will work for a while, but eventually it dies.

I have not researched this extensively, and suspect I'm overlooking
something fundamental somewhere, but since you ask, I thought I'd
report the problem (hoping for a resolution, of course - my fingers
strongly prefer Emacs to the Lispworks IDE for program editing!).

> Is there some packaging system (e.g. Debian) that you would like to
> see SLIME 1.0 bundled with? If so, do you know how to coordinate this?

Not really - I have had no problems with the CVS access.

> If you said anything negative above then please say something nice
> here to make us feel good:

I have found SLIME to be very impressive indeed.  Thanks guys!

-Klaus.