[slime-devel] SLIME User Survey

Arnaud Diederen aundro at swing.be
Fri Jun 18 14:32:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 15:58, Luke Gorrie wrote:
> If the ALU can do it then so can we :-). It would be nice to get some
> feedback to understand which backends are getting the most/least usage
> and which ones are flaky.
>
> So if you are an active SLIME user and you have a moment then please
>
> Questions:
>
> Which Lisp versions do you use SLIME with?

SBCL w/ multithreading, v 0.8.10.48

> Which Emacs versions?

GNU Emacs 21.3.1

> How well does SLIME work for you?

Actually, pretty nice!

> What bugs (reproducible or otherwise) or missing features annoy you?

I cant get some interfaces to work
(DISASSEMBLE-FRAME LIST-CALLEES LIST-CALLERS PROFILE-PACKAGE
RESTART-FRAME WHO-BINDS WHO-CALLS WHO-MACROEXPANDS WHO-REFERENCES
WHO-SETS WHO-SPECIALIZES)

Also, when using multithreaded applications, the communication obviously
is a little particular .. I had to set the comm style to fd-handler to
get it to work.

> Is there some packaging system (e.g. Debian) that you would like to
> see SLIME 1.0 bundled with? If so, do you know how to coordinate this?
> If you said anything negative above then please say something nice
> here to make us feel good:

Well, I's harder to find something bad to say about it then something
nice!
I discovered CL a few months ago as well as slime, and so started to
understand better lots of things: how to get emacs to work, how to hack
the sawfish window manager and, concerning slime, how to turn Emacs into
the best, most productive, and most extensible IDE I've ever seen. Slime
is great, and gets greater every single day. No doubt it will very soon
become a mush-have for all CL developpers.
No less no more.
I mean it.

:)