[slime-devel] Re: slime-space ceases to work

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:19:00 UTC 2004

Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> writes:

> I'm currently working on a mildly complicated web server app using
> CMUCL 19a-pre3, multi-threading, TBNL, CLSQL, and of course SLIME from
> CVS. Every now and then slime-space ceases to work, i.e. after I've
> worked with the system for a while pressing space doesn't produce an
> arglist in the minibuffer anymore. I've not managed to isolate this
> problem yet but it occurs rather often and it's really annoying. Is
> anyone else seeing this?

When it stops working could you try eval'ing (slime-busy-p) ?

The `slime-space' command won't do arglist lookup if it thinks we're
busy, i.e. that we have unanswered RPC(s) to Lisp. Particularly with
threads though it could be possible for a request to get stuck or to
somehow die without sending a reply, in which case Emacs could get
stuck thinking that it's busy.

So if (slime-busy-p) is true then it's probably stuck, and you can use
`M-x slime-reset' to safely cancel any unanswered RPCs and continue.
If (slime-busy-p) is false then it must be something else..

-Luke