[slime-devel] Re: SLIME automated testing best practices.

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Thu Jul 15 12:44:44 UTC 2004

Dirk Gerrits <dirk at dirkgerrits.com> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this mailing list, but I was
> wondering if and how people are using SLIME to test their programs.
> Looking at the SLIME manual, there is nothing that really jumps out at
> me as a program testing tool.

If you haven't already then you might like to look at:

  ClickCheck by Darius Bacon
  http://www.accesscom.com/~darius/software/clickcheck.html
  You tell it how to make test cases and then it automatically tests
  hundreds of randomly-generated ones.

  Peter Seibel's unit test framework in his book:
  http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practical-building-a-unit-test-framework.html

I always go ad-hoc myself because, frankly, I don't take testing as
seriously as I should :-). In SLIME we have a homebrew elisp-driven
testing framework on `M-x slime-run-tests' that presents its results
in an outline-mode buffer.

I have a CL program for encoding and decoding TCP/IP packets that
tests itself. I did that ad-hoc, but now I think about that might be a
good application for ClickCheck.
http://www.hexapodia.net/pipermail/small-cl-src/2004-July/000030.html

-Luke