[slime-devel] Re: lisp restart

Pascal J.Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Thu Jul 1 23:30:51 UTC 2004

Marco Baringer writes:
> Andras Simon <andras at renyi.hu> writes:
>
> > I've been meaning to ask about this for some time: why is
> > ,sayoonara so eager to remove all traces of lisp activity?
>
> because it's supposed to be a "i'm done with my lisp work so go away"
> command. if all you want to do is kill the underlying lisp you have
> (swank-backend:quit-lisp).
>
> if you want to just restart the lisp without mesing with the repl
> buffers:
>
> (defun slime-restart-lisp-image ()
>   (interactive)
>   (when (slime-connected-p)
>     (dolist (buf (buffer-list))
>       (when (or (string= (buffer-name buf) slime-event-buffer-name)
>                 (string-match "^\\*inferior-lisp*" (buffer-name buf)))
>         (kill-buffer buf))))
>   (call-interactively 'slime))
>
> how often do people actually do this?

Often enough. When debugging some programs or compilation or
isntallation procedure, you need to restart with a clean state, but
it's handy to keep the history in the buffer.

And conversely, I have some images running for a long time, where it's
usefull to clean the buffer from time to time to have a clearer view
of it.  For example, when I dump a big backtrace, I like to clean
everything from the top of the buffer down to the start of the
backtrace to  avoid puzzling over a previous  backtrace.  (Perhaps I
should use narrow-to-region/widden, but I like to give work to the
garbage collectors).

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein