[slime-devel] Re: lisp restart

Andras Simon andras at renyi.hu
Thu Jul 1 18:39:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Marco Baringer wrote:

> Andras Simon <andras at renyi.hu> writes:
>
> > I've been meaning to ask about this for some time: why is ,sayoonara so eager
> > to remove all traces of lisp activity?
>
> because it's supposed to be a "i'm done with my lisp work so go away"
> command. if all you want to do is kill the underlying lisp you have
> (swank-backend:quit-lisp).

There are two common scenarios (at least for me):

(1) The Lisp image is fine, I just want to restart slime because I messed it
    up somehow.
(2) I want to restart Lisp, to start from a clean state. But I'd like to keep
    input history.

For (1), there's always slime-disconnect and then slime, although something
like ,restart-slime wuld be slightly more convenient. For (2), what you write:

> if you want to just restart the lisp without mesing with the repl
> buffers:
>
> (defun slime-restart-lisp-image ()
>   (interactive)
>   (when (slime-connected-p)
>     (dolist (buf (buffer-list))
>       (when (or (string= (buffer-name buf) slime-event-buffer-name)
>                 (string-match "^\\*inferior-lisp*" (buffer-name buf)))
>         (kill-buffer buf))))
>   (call-interactively 'slime))

works very nicely (thanks!). I think it's also worth a shortcut. How about
,restart-lisp?

> how often do people actually do this?

More often than I'd like to :-(

Andras