[slime-devel] Keybindings (was: Feature: basic profiling interface)

lawrence mitchell wence at gmx.li
Thu Jan 29 13:59:51 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie wrote:

[...]

> I think that our current `C-c M-<foo>' and `C-c Shift-<foo>' are a
> little bit un-Emacsey and it would be nice to put some of them onto
> key sequences that only use control.

> Exactly which bits to turn into subtress I'm not sure :-) but one idea
> is to move the documentation-related keys under a `C-c C-d'
> prefix. That is a pretty convenient-on-the-fingers prefix, and it
> would free up a lot of other keys.

Not to mention the fact that it would free up C-c C-h, which the
elisp manual generally recommends to leave untouched.  In fact,
it's recommended not to bind "Anything C-h", since, if unbound
C-h acts as a magic key, showing the current prefix's submap.

| * Do not bind `C-h' following any prefix character (including
| `C-c').  If you don't bind `C-h', it is automatically available
| as a help character for listing the subcommands of the prefix
| character.

E.g.

C-x a C-h:

| Global Bindings Starting With C-x a:
| key             binding

| C-x a n         expand-jump-to-next-slot

[...]

| C-x a i g       inverse-add-global-abbrev

Also on major mode keybinding conventions, in addition to C-c
{C-letter, C-digit}, the following are also reserved for major
modes:

(elisp) Coding Conventions

--
lawrence mitchell <wence at gmx.li>