[slime-devel] Re: swank-loader

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 09:30:20 UTC 2004

Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> writes:

> On Giovedì, gen 22, 2004, at 09:30 Europe/Rome, Christophe Rhodes wrote:
>
>> Did you try my suggestion, of customizing asdf:output-files?  Other
>> people have managed to load source files.
>>
>> (defclass no-compile-source-file (cl-source-file) ())
>> (defmethod perform ((o compile-op) (f no-compile-source-file))
>>   t)
>> (defmethod output-files ((o compile-op) (f no-compile-source-file))
>>   (list (component-pathname f)))
>
> my reasoning was this: the operation load-source-op should "just work"
> in this case, redefining those methods is one possible work around to
> the bug in load-source-op's component-depends-on, while the intern
> trick is another (imho). an bug report will be sent as soon i can find
> the time.

I think you're confused between dependencies and operations.

If I, as the programmer, wish to find out whether my system can be
loaded as source, rather than as compiled files, I could do
  (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-source-op :my-system)

If I, as the programmer, wish to ensure that a given file is loaded as
source, I would override the default dependencies by specializing the
file's class.

Not perfect, maybe, but the above is the way to define a Lisp source
file that should never be compiled.

Cheers,

Christophe