[slime-devel] Re: swank-loader

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 08:30:08 UTC 2004

Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> writes:

> On Mercoledì, gen 21, 2004, at 09:53 Europe/Rome, Marco Baringer wrote:
>
>> (asdf:defsystem :swank
>>     :components ((:file "swank-loader"
>>                   :in-order-to ((compile-op (load-source-op
>> "swank-loader")))))
>>     :depends-on (#+SBCL :sb-bsd-sockets))
>
> un fortunetly this has the effect of compiling swank-loader.lisp. the
> next time (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :swank) is run it will attempt to
> load "swank-loader.dfsl" without first loading the source.

Did you try my suggestion, of customizing asdf:output-files?  Other
people have managed to load source files.

(defclass no-compile-source-file (cl-source-file) ())
(defmethod perform ((o compile-op) (f no-compile-source-file))
  t)
(defmethod output-files ((o compile-op) (f no-compile-source-file))
  (list (component-pathname f)))

> we can go back to the original swank.asd and not worry about this mess
> anymore. (although this is all just a work around to a bug in asdf).

Please report bugs in asdf.  One of the more encouraging things at the
start of slime development were that problems were reported to people
rather than "worked around", down which route leads ilisp and
maintenance nightmares.

Christophe