[slime-devel] SLIME buglet: The value NIL is not of type PACKAGE.

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jan 22 00:28:07 UTC 2004

Michael Weber <michaelw+slime at foldr.org> writes:

> re 1: Attached is a patch (slime-minibuffer.patch), which narrows the
> minibuffer, so that the prompt is not accessible.  The macro
> WITHOUT-MINIBUFFER-PROMPT should probably be called whenever something
> wants to read from the minibuffer (at least if tab completion is
> enabled).
>
> BTW: XEmacs seems to do the Right Thing by default and does not allow
> the cursor to be moved over the prompt, and it does not have
> MINIBUFFER-PROMPT-END, so I conditionalized on it.

Emacs 20 behaves like XEmacs, so I think it was conscious change in
Emacs 21.  I haven't applied that patch.

> re 2: Attached is another patch (swank-completions.patch), making
> SWANK:COMPLETIONS handle non-existent packages without bombing.
> While I was there I removed the unneeded LET*.

The problem occurred only in SBCL, because (let ((*package* nil))) is a
type error in SBCL.

> I also tried to run SLIME-RUN-TESTS.  Why it said "FAILED: Completion
> set is as expected.", I don't know.  Works for me(tm).

The LET is needed because we need proper a binding for *print-case*.
That's the reason for the failed tests.