[slime-devel] Lispworks multiprocessing (?) problem

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jan 21 23:28:25 UTC 2004

Alain.Picard at memetrics.com writes:

> CL-USER 3 : 1 > :b
>
> Call to SWANK::SWANK-DEBUGGER-HOOK
> Call to INVOKE-DEBUGGER
> Call to SWANK::FORCE-USER-OUTPUT
> Call to SWANK:EVAL-STRING
> Call to FUNCALL
> Call to SWANK::READ-FROM-EMACS
> Call to SWANK::READ-USER-INPUT-FROM-EMACS
> Call to (SUBFUNCTION 1 SWANK::CREATE-CONNECTION)
> Call to (METHOD STREAM:STREAM-READ-CHAR (SWANK::SLIME-INPUT-STREAM))
> Call to IO::READ-OBJECT
> Call to IO::RECURSIVE-READ
> Call to READ-PRESERVING-WHITESPACE
> Call to EDITOR:RUBBER-READ-A-COMMAND
> Call to (SUBFUNCTION MP::PROCESS-SG-FUNCTION MP::INITIALIZE-PROCESS-STACK)
>
> CL-USER 4 : 1 >

It seems that *DISPATCHING-CONNECTION* isn't properly bound.  Is this
backtrace from the same thread that created the initial connection or
a from another thread?  Do you use some form of tail call
optimization?

SWANK::CURRENT-CONNECTION contains some special code for SBCL perhaps
we need something similar for Lispworks.

> I think there are fewer problems if I _first_ start multiprocessing,
> _then_ create a swank-server, then use slime-connect from emacs.
> But that's not nearly as convenient as just typing M-x slime.  :-)

Emacs starts multiprocessing for you if set slime-multiprocessing to t.