[slime-devel] Lispworks multiprocessing (?) problem

Alain.Picard at memetrics.com Alain.Picard at memetrics.com
Wed Jan 21 03:02:03 UTC 2004

Fellow slimers,

I have a (Lispworks) console image in which I load some files,
then run a function which starts multiprocessing, e.g.

XOS> (load-server)
;;; hundreds of lines of stuff loading here...

XOS> (main-thread)
.............DONE!

I've set this console to be my LISP-PROGRAM, and M-x slime
starts it all up fine.

After step 1, I can play around source files, compiling
forms with C-c C-c.

After step 2, most interactions land me in this state:

;;; Compiling file /tmp/filerbPYBy.lisp ...
;;; Safety = 3, Speed = 1, Space = 1, Float = 1, Interruptible = 0
;;; Compilation speed = 1, Debug = 2, Fixnum safety = 3
;;; Source level debugging is on
;;; Source file recording is  on
;;; Cross referencing is on
1

Error: The variable SWANK::*BUFFER-PACKAGE* is unbound.
  1 Try evaluating SWANK::*BUFFER-PACKAGE* again.
  2 Specify a value to use this time instead of evaluating SWANK::*BUFFER-PACKAGE*.
  3 Specify a value to set SWANK::*BUFFER-PACKAGE* to.
  4 (continue) Retry assertion.
  5 (abort) Return to level 0.
  6 Return to top loop level 0.

Type :b for backtrace, :c <option number> to proceed,  or :? for other options

CL-USER 3 : 1 > :b

Call to SWANK::SWANK-DEBUGGER-HOOK
Call to INVOKE-DEBUGGER
Call to SWANK::FORCE-USER-OUTPUT
Call to SWANK:EVAL-STRING
Call to FUNCALL
Call to SWANK::READ-FROM-EMACS
Call to SWANK::READ-USER-INPUT-FROM-EMACS
Call to (SUBFUNCTION 1 SWANK::CREATE-CONNECTION)
Call to (METHOD STREAM:STREAM-READ-CHAR (SWANK::SLIME-INPUT-STREAM))
Call to IO::READ-OBJECT
Call to IO::RECURSIVE-READ
Call to READ-PRESERVING-WHITESPACE
Call to EDITOR:RUBBER-READ-A-COMMAND
Call to (SUBFUNCTION MP::PROCESS-SG-FUNCTION MP::INITIALIZE-PROCESS-STACK)

CL-USER 4 : 1 >

If I try to continue with the 2nd restart, to specify a
value for SWANK::*BUFFER-PACKAGE*, no joy either:

CL-USER 6 : 1 > :c 2
(find-package :xos)

Enter a form to be evaluated:
Error: NIL is not of type SWANK::CONNECTION when accessing slot SWANK::SOCKET-IO.
  1 (continue) Retry assertion.
  2 (abort) Return to level 0.
  3 Return to top loop level 0.

Type :b for backtrace, :c <option number> to proceed,  or :? for other options

XOS 7 : 1 >

Any clues?  Anything info I can provide to help debug this?

I think there are fewer problems if I _first_ start multiprocessing,
_then_ create a swank-server, then use slime-connect from emacs.
But that's not nearly as convenient as just typing M-x slime.  :-)