[slime-devel] Re: Backend carnage! Battle stations!

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 13 19:08:03 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Okay, you have talked some sense into me. I had assumed all Lisps
> would have socket interfaces similar to CMUCL/serve-event. Oops.

I did the next round of refactoring.  It turned out that all backends,
with the exception of Lispworks, have indeed a very similar socket
interface.  I used some internal Lispworks functions to implement the
same interface there.  There are now more, but simpler functions.  The
interface also includes 'add-input-handler' and a function to spawn
new processes.  The idea is that the "start server in background"
logic can be implemented in swank.lisp, but that's not done yet.  All
backends are currently simple sequential servers.

> I re-replaced the socket interface with a much simpler one. I've
> re-ported CMUCL and SBCL, also LispWorks but without the dedicated
> output channel sofar. I also updated the CLISP backend, but haven't
> tested it! I seem incapable of building and installing a recent
> version of CLISP, I end up with this funky stuff:

When I install CLISP 2.32, I did something like this:

- install libsigsegv
- create a directory 'build'
- run 'configure build'
- 'cd build'
- './makemake --with-dynamic-ffi --with-nogettext --without-unicode
  --with-module=bindings/glibc --with-module=regexp
  --with-module=syscalls > Makefile'
- make config.lisp
- make
- make check