[slime-devel] Re: What does "pipelined request" mean?

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Sun Feb 29 01:00:28 UTC 2004

Peter Seibel <peter at javamonkey.com> writes:

> > I've got a busted connection to CLISP (along with several other
> > connections to other Lisps which seem to be working) Whenever I type
> > anything in the CLISP REPL I get a message from emacs of the form:
> >
> >   ; pipelined request... (swank:listener-eval "
> >   ")
> >
> > What does this mean?
>
> Ah, here's another clue. In the CLISP *inferior-lisp* CLISP this
> message appears:
>
>   *** - Lisp stack overflow. RESET
>
> I'm not sure what provokes that. It doesn't happen write away. (And
> I'm not certain that I haven't somehow mucked something up in my copy
> of slime though I don't have much changed.)

Okay. So something seems to be screwed up in CLISP's error handling.
With CLISP as my only SLIME connection, and having done nothing else,
I can type: (error "boo!") at the REPL and get the stack overflow
message in the *inferior-lisp* buffer. The same thing does *not*
happen when running CLISP outside of SLIME. (For that matter I can
signal an error in the *inferior-lisp* buffer, and it behaves as
expected.)

Anyone know what's up with that?

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com