[slime-devel] Re: *read-default-float-format* with C-c C-k, , load-system, etc.

Dirk Gerrits dirk at dirkgerrits.com
Wed Dec 22 16:11:52 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at synap.se> writes:

> Dirk Gerrits <dirk at dirkgerrits.com> writes:
>
>> >   (eval-when (:compile-toplevel :load-toplevel :execute)
>> >     (setq *read-default-float-format* 'long-float))
>
> [...]
>
>> Anyone?  This is really annoying, as it makes C-M-x, C-c C-k and C-x C-e
>> completely unusable for this project.  (Well unless there just happens
>> to be no floating point literal in the evaluated code.)
>
> This is probably specific to the Lisp implementation. Which are you using?
>
> If you're using ACL then you should probably use excl:setq-default
> instead of setq. Otherwise new threads will use the default instead of
> what you want.
>
> See http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/doc/pages/operators/top-level/setq-default.htm

Sounds plausible.  As I said in my original post however, I'm using SBCL
with multithreading.  I've been looking in SBCL the manual, but I can't
find anything similar to setq-default.  As far as I know, setq is the
correct thing to use for new child threads to inherit the values of
special variables.  So apparently my setq is not being executed in the
"root thread"?

Dirk Gerrits