[slime-devel] Re: how to interrupt & kill function execution

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Dec 5 15:45:48 UTC 2004

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <frodef at cs.uit.no> writes:

> It doesn't work on windows. This is the major show-stopper for me when
> I just now tried a winxp/emacs/clisp/slime setup. The minor one being
> the (in practice) non-existing backtrace of frames with compiled
> functions. The latter I've gathered requires some seriuos clisp
> hackery, whereas the former I'm hoping I can nudge the good slime
> developers to fix: What happens is that the slime's PID is nil (that's
> what the status-line at the top of the emacs frame says), and it's a
> nil which ends up being sent to (the elisp function) signal-process,
> and which causes emacs to signal an error. I'd really appreciate it if
> this could be fixed. (I'm using CVS slime, btw.)

I tried to fix this but I failed.

With the CLISP version from the Cygwin distribution it seems to work
... well, sometimes.  The Emacs frame blinks and somehow loses the
focus, but the backtrace shows up after a few seconds.

I have only a very oldish Windows 98 and the Lisp-in-a-box package
didn't work here.  I can only use CLISP's "base" version.  The base
version has no win32 package and so the pid is always nil.  The "full"
version complains about a missing function in kernel32.dll when
GetCurrentProcessId is called.  Does win32::|GetCurrentProcessId| work
on WinXP?  The Cygwin version uses system::program-id.

I also tried to set the slime-pid manually to the pid of the
inferior-process, but the subprocess died when I tried to interrupt
it.