[slime-devel] Re: Problem with SLIME + CMUCL + CLSQL + Oracle

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Thu Aug 19 08:49:19 UTC 2004

Ivan Toshkov <ivan at toshkov.org> writes:

> I'm using recently updated version of SLIME, CMUCL 19a, CLSQL 3 and Oracle
> 8.1.7, everything on linux (Red Hat Enterprise Server 3).
>
> I do:
>
> CL-USER> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :clsql-oracle)
> CL-USER> (use-package :clsql-user)
> CL-USER> (connect '("SID" "user" "pass") :database-type :oracle)
>
> At this point CMUCL starts using the processor on >90% and stays that way
> untill killed.
>
> I've tried the same dialog without SLIME and it works fine. Also,
> I've tried with SQLite instead of Oracle and it works under SLIME.

The usual way to peg CMUCL at high CPU is to use threads without
starting the idle process. Are you using any threads? If so try doing
(setq slime-multiprocessing t) in Emacs and in ~/.swank.lisp do
(setq swank:*communication-style* :spawn)

We really need a nicer way to configure this. The fly in the ointment
is that we have to call (mp::startup-idle-and-top-level-loops) via the
Lisp listener in *inferior-lisp* because the scary magic it does
doesn't work from an RPC or init file AFAICS.

If there are no threads involved then I suggest interrupting Lisp
while it's chewing CPU and having a look at the backtrace.

-Luke