[slime-devel] Re: newbie questions related to sldb

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Aug 16 16:33:46 UTC 2004

Sundar Narasimhan <sundar at itasoftware.com> writes:

> BTW -- following up on this. I may not have my mental model quite
> right yet -- if I type several 'n' or 'p' in SLDB -- and then type
> in the REPL loop -- should I expect to (or not) get eval-in-frame
> semantics right

No. Only the commands named `in-frame' will actually evaluate in the
specific frame. Everything else, including REPL input, will just be
EVAL'd in the null lexical environment from deep in the debugger loop.

I have a feeling that people are expecting different behaviour, but
I'm not sure exactly what. Please feel free to spell it out.

> 1. I notice that c-c c-m (macroexpand) does not seem to work
> correctly wrt. packages.. for example in cmu lisp -- it inserts
> common-lisp-user: rather than the package the form appears in.

It does the right thing in the examples I've tried. More details?

> Is there an equivalent of reparse-attribute-list?

I'm not familiar with that, what's it do?

> 2. When I type 'r' within sldb I get the foll.. how do I get to
> restart a frame.. w/ the same arguments
> as originally invoked..?
>
> No matching method for the generic function
> #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION SWANK-BACKEND:RESTART-FRAME (0)

This ugly message really means that the RESTART-FRAME feature is not
implemented for CMUCL. I would like to improve such messages but it's
at least slightly tricky, as I believe is supporting that feature.

-Luke