[slime-devel] Re: newbie questions related to sldb

Sundar Narasimhan sundar at itasoftware.com
Mon Aug 16 02:21:30 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie wrote:

>>Simple question: when the sldb window pops up -- and I type e -- or
>>other evaluation related functions, the interactions occur in the
>>minibuffer -- which doesn't work well for me for forms/results that
>>extend over multiple lines. What's the accepted wisdom wrt. what one
>>could do here?
>>

>I can think of a few related points, I don't know if any is what
>you're after -
>
>  You can use `C-u :' and (now) `C-u e' to have the evaluation result
>  printed into the REPL buffer instead of displayed in a message.
>
>  You can use `M-x slime-ensure-typeout-frame' to create a new small
>  frame for displaying the messages with instead of the echo area.
>  (When you close the frame it'll go back to using the echo area.)
>
>  You can actually use the REPL even while debugging an error from an
>  REPL evaluation. This useful but seedy feature is because the REPL
>  is really based on RPCs rather than streams.

BTW -- following up on this. I may not have my mental model quite right
yet -- if I type several 'n' or
'p' in SLDB -- and then type in the REPL loop -- should I expect to (or
not) get eval-in-frame semantics
right -- i.e. the scope is as indicated by the cursor in the sldb buffer?
(I'm a bit mystified wrt. what scope my evaluations are taking place in
this case).

A couple of other newbie questions:
1. I notice that c-c c-m (macroexpand) does not seem to work correctly
wrt. packages.. for example
in cmu lisp -- it inserts common-lisp-user: rather than the package the
form appears in. Is there an
equivalent of reparse-attribute-list?

2. When I type 'r' within sldb I get the foll.. how do I get to restart
a frame.. w/ the same arguments
as originally invoked..?

No matching method for the generic function
#<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION SWANK-BACKEND:RESTART-FRAME (0) {5717D391}>,
when
called with arguments (0).
   [Condition of type PCL::NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE] Retry call to :FUNCTION.
  1: [ABORT] Return to sldb level 1.
  2: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
  3: [DESTROY] Destroy the process