[slime-devel] Does SLIME change editor features significantly?

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Fri Oct 31 14:14:30 UTC 2003

Martin Stone Davis <m0davis at pacbell.net> writes:

> Total newbie here.  I have ILISP and I understand that SLIME is for
> making it easier for Emacs to interact with 3rd party Lisp
> interpreters. But does/will it also improve on Emacs-Lisp mode?

'fraid not :-). What you want is outside the scope of SLIME, we're
just adding features to interact with external Common Lisps.

> For example, here are some things I'm looking for:
>
> * automatic re-indentation (so that if I cut paste something it
> automatically adjusts the indentation)

The command `indent-sexp' does something like this, you can run it
with C-M-q.

The best reference I can offer is the "Editing Programs" section of
the Emacs manual, which you probably have as an info file and is also
on the web at:

  http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-21.2/html_chapter/emacs_24.html#SEC268

Cheers,
Luke