[slime-devel] REPL mode

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Thu Oct 30 21:49:51 UTC 2003

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> I've committed the beginnings of a comint-less REPL.

Looks really nice! I'm playing around..

> This is a proof of concept, to see if our own REPL is actually better
> than the (not-so-) inferior-lisp mode.

I have high hopes. I think it buys us some nice freedom, like the
ability to fire up a repl over a socket.

> The nicest thing about this repl is the integration with our debugger.
> The ugliest thing is the complexity that is needed for better input
> redirection.

We should probably use our debugger for *inferior-lisp* too. This
possibly gets tricky on e.g. OpenMCL, when Swank and the listener are
different threads. We'd need to become thread-aware as ELI famously
is. In CMUCL/SBCL, I think we just need to save the right Lisp-side
variables and handle :debug-hook event in the idle-state.

I've been holding off on significant backend-hacking until we clean
that whole area up for now.

Cheers,
Luke