[slime-devel] SLIME and Lispworks?

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Oct 20 11:20:22 UTC 2003

G'day Alain!

> I realize (from reading your sources so far) that
> you're focussing on CMUCL and SBCL; however, if the
> intent is to try to make the protocol sufficiently
> general/portable to other Lisps, I hereby volunteer
> my services as Lispworks user/tester/debugger (and
> even, initially) porter of whatever LW specific code
> needs to be written to get SLIME going on LW.

Great! The OpenMCL backend is currently the shortest/simplest, so I
would guess the easiest approach it to port that to LispWorks.

If you write that, we can run the test suite against LispWorks along
with the other backends. That way we can avoid breaking it during
restructurings. I just installed LispWorks Personal Edition for Linux,
which was painless, so I think this will work.

As you've probably noticed, we're just taking the first steps in
creating a sane way to interface the backend-specific code with the
common stuff, so everything will change a fair bit in the coming
weeks. That said, personally I would be happy to have a LispWorks
backend in any time -- I don't think it will be much extra work to
maintain, and it would be good to support it.

And we may even trick you into writing some code that benefits the
other backends too. :-)

Cheers,
Luke