[slime-devel] stuff

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 17 18:22:16 UTC 2003

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Howdyo,
>
> Feels good to be hacking again :-)
>
> Helmut, list-callers is great! The inspector too!

What do you think about the window for selecting a caller?  I had some
trouble to figure out how to reuse the xref window, so I came up with
my own, and tried to imitate the w3m-select-buffer window.  Should I
switch to the xref window?

> This backend integration is groovy too.
>
> I've been hacking on the Elisp source-path support a bit more just
> now. It turns out backquote is really hard (see ChangeLog for
> details). We probably should push resolving source-paths into Lisp to
> use their reader for compiler notes too. Maybe `forward-source-path's
> days are numbered?

Yes, I think that would be good.  At least worth at try.  Would it be
efficient enough to send the entire buffer as a string to Lisp and
resolve the source path there?  Or should we drop source paths
entirely and only send buffer offsets across the wire?  It's a bit
difficult for compiler notes, because we don't want to slow down
compilation, but we need the buffer offsets for the annotations
immediately after the compilation.  Perhaps we could do the annotation
and source path resolution lazily, only when M-n or M-p are pressed.

> Also hacked the batch-mode test suite a bit. There's a little
> 'test.sh' in CVS for running it. I drive it with different lisp/emacs
> versions with this script:

The script works great for Emacs.  XEmacs crashes in batch mode, but
works fine interactively.