[slime-devel] Daily ChangeLog diff

Andras Simon andras at renyi.hu
Sun Nov 30 21:55:07 UTC 2003

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Sean O'Rourke wrote:

> Sean O'Rourke <sorourke at cs.ucsd.edu> writes:
>
> > Luke Gorrie <lgorrie at common-lisp.net> writes:
> >> +	(slime-autodoc-mode): New command.
> >
> > I think we're losing here by rolling our own instead of using eldoc.
> > For example, today I noticed that slime-autodoc continues to echo
> > during an isearch; eldoc has been made to avoid doing this.

Yes, it's certainly a bit too eager; but checking

(and (not executing-kbd-macro)
     (not cursor-in-echo-area)
     (not (eq (selected-window) (minibuffer-window)))
     ...)

would probably be sufficient to overcome this. Though I also wouldn't mind a
timer to delay showing the arglist for half a sec or so. (And, while we are at
it, packaging autodoc as a minor mode that can be turned on/off in
inferior-lisp and slime-repl too, wouldn't hurt either.) But all these can be
solved quite easily without eldoc.

> In slime-autodoc's favor, it _is_ much simpler, particularly when you
> consider having to use an advice to take advantage of eldoc in
> pre-21.3 Emacs.  But I suspect that there will be other cases of
> unforseen gotchas and minor behavioral differences in the future, and
> can't help but think that maintaining a parallel implementation of
> eldoc is more trouble than necessary.

But maybe it's better to just wait and see. (And perhaps by the time it turns
out that eldoc is indispensable, everybody will use Emacs v. >= 21.3 :-))

Andras