[slime-devel] Daily ChangeLog diff

Sean O'Rourke sorourke at cs.ucsd.edu
Sun Nov 30 18:31:52 UTC 2003

Sean O'Rourke <sorourke at cs.ucsd.edu> writes:

> Luke Gorrie <lgorrie at common-lisp.net> writes:
>> +	(slime-autodoc-mode): New command.
>
> I think we're losing here by rolling our own instead of using eldoc.
> For example, today I noticed that slime-autodoc continues to echo
> during an isearch; eldoc has been made to avoid doing this.

Sorry, slip-of-the-finger plus Gnus' send-without-confirm behavior led
me to send the incomplete message above.  To continue...

In slime-autodoc's favor, it _is_ much simpler, particularly when you
consider having to use an advice to take advantage of eldoc in
pre-21.3 Emacs.  But I suspect that there will be other cases of
unforseen gotchas and minor behavioral differences in the future, and
can't help but think that maintaining a parallel implementation of
eldoc is more trouble than necessary.

/s