[slime-devel] Re: Users!

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Wed Nov 26 16:52:20 UTC 2003

"Sean O'Rourke" <sorourke at cs.ucsd.edu> writes:

> I switched to Slime for awhile, but switched back to Ilisp for the
> moment for two reasons:
>
> - stability.  This is probably a red herring, since you can evidently
>   just leave a Lisp up and running and reconnect after a crash; it's
>   also transient, since Slime is improving by leaps and bounds
>   (infinitely faster than Ilisp, one might say;).

I hadn't realised we had stability-as-in-crash problems. We'll fix
them.

> - Usability details.  The big one here is completion -- Ilisp has a
>   couple of completion features that Slime lacks: filename completion
>   in strings, and multiword expansion (e.g. "m-w-e<tab>" ->
>   "multi-word-expansion").  Is there any reason not to pillage Ilisp
>   for these nice touches?

Pillaging ideas, definitely. Pillaging code hasn't been a big success
so far. In the cases I've tried, the ILISP code was really showing its
age (way) too much.

Today might be an exception. I spent quite some time implementing a
"m-w-e<tab>" feature, but the algorithm I cooked up turned out to
completely suck, and it isn't useful. Bugger. :-)

Cheers,
Luke