[slime-devel] Re: Users!

Sean O'Rourke sorourke at cs.ucsd.edu
Wed Nov 26 03:38:02 UTC 2003

Jan Rychter <jan at rychter.com> writes:
> Seriously, SLIME has already gotten to the point where it's more useful
> than ILisp for me,

I switched to Slime for awhile, but switched back to Ilisp for the
moment for two reasons:

- stability.  This is probably a red herring, since you can evidently
  just leave a Lisp up and running and reconnect after a crash; it's
  also transient, since Slime is improving by leaps and bounds
  (infinitely faster than Ilisp, one might say;).

- Usability details.  The big one here is completion -- Ilisp has a
  couple of completion features that Slime lacks: filename completion
  in strings, and multiword expansion (e.g. "m-w-e<tab>" ->
  "multi-word-expansion").  Is there any reason not to pillage Ilisp
  for these nice touches?

If I get some free time over the holidays, I'll try to address these
two issues with some patches, and get back to happily using Slime.
It's got a lot of potential, but is still to young for someone who
just needs to get his Lisp work done with as few hassles as possible.

/s