[slime-devel] Slime and sbcl, minor problems.

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Mon Nov 24 10:21:59 UTC 2003

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Then on the Lisp side I suppose you need to arrange for a few
> variables to be bound for the debugger, e.g. *emacs-io* and
> *buffer-package*, which are usually only bound while serving
> evaluation requests.

Yes.  I'm thinking about adding (araneida:use-slime-debugger) or
something, which would be run from *slime-repl* where the appropriate
streams are visible.   It would save references to said streams
and install a debugger hook

I'm guessing that Slime is not going to like it if multiple requests
all cause errors and attempt to start the debugger in quick
succession.  Even if it does or can be made to, I'm unsure that
I'd want to use it that way, so some form of locking in the debugger
hook would probably be a good idea.

> This will be good beyond Araneida. Now that we've taken over the REPL,
> it makes sense for us take over standard-IO, *debugger-hook*, etc, all
> the time Emacs is connected, not just during explicit requests. At
> least as an option.

Beyond a general lack of faith in the layers on layers of stuff that
this involves (this might just be my own problem, I'm a software
Luddite), I'm still not sure how this would work in the presence of
foreign code, which doesn't have Lisp streams to print to, just file
descriptors.  i think output from that is still going to end up in
*inferior-lisp*

-dan

--

   http://web.metacircles.com/cirCLe_CD - Free Software Lisp/Linux distro