[slime-devel] Slime feature requests

Brian Mastenbrook bmastenb at cs.indiana.edu
Thu Nov 20 23:06:07 UTC 2003

Hello fellow hackers,

I've been using slime for some time now, and I /really/ like it. It
feels much more integrated than ilisp, and has several nice advantages.
I like the ability to run my lisp independently of emacs - that way
when emacs goes down (I'm using emacs CVS, and it does happen from time
to time) my session isn't lost, and I can also logout/login without
disrupting my lisp session. It seems that a few weeks back, SLIME
switched to using a file to communicate the port that swank would be
listening on, and swank:start-server started taking this as a required
argument. Can I request that swank:start-server go back to not
requiring an argument and starting the server on the default port - and
possibly allow the choice of another port somehow? It might also be
nice to include a simple swank .asd file like the one I've attached to
make it easier to start the swank server in a fresh lisp.

I've also noticed that SLIME seems to like to pop up the REPL in the
current frame when sending definitions via C-M-x, and resize it if it's
already active. I like keeping the REPL in another window, and would
request that SLIME not touch or rearrange anything unless the slime
repl is not visible.

Lastly, it seems that slime prints its results from the CL-USER
package, regarldess of the user's current package in the REPL. Since it
obviously knows the current package well enough to include it in the
REPL prompt, would it be possible to make it print output from that
package?

Thanks!