[slime-devel] Re: Slime and XEmacs

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Nov 8 08:50:07 UTC 2003

Jan Rychter <jan at rychter.com> writes:

> The bug seems to be that when defining slime faces, the size does not
> get copied.

I assumed that if you don't specify the size, Emacs will take a
sensible default.  But apparently that's not the case.

> Having looked at slime.el -- why not just use copy-face instead of
> defface when running under XEmacs? That does copy all font attributes in
> my XEmacs. Alas, it doesn't seem to exist in GNU Emacs.

The (potentially) nice thing about defface is, that it is integrated
with Emacs' customization machinery.  So users can customize faces
defined with defface in the customize menu and can save their
settings.

Apparently the face copying stuff wasn't a good idea.  I removed that
and hardcoded the colors for slime-highlight-face.  The size should be
whatever is the default size is for your faces.  If people don't like
my colors, they can still customize them.

The problem with SERIES is that the compiler condition actually
contains a message, but has length zero.  The SERIES package prints
the warning itself to *standard-output* and uses (warn "") to inform
the compiler.  I changed the slime code a bit, so you see at least 2
double quotes ("") in the echo area if the message is empty.