[slime-devel] Re: Slime and XEmacs

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Fri Nov 7 06:01:18 UTC 2003

 Luke> Jan Rychter <jan at rychter.com> writes:
 >> Hot from the ChangeLog:
 >>
 >> 2003-11-03 Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com>
 >>
 >> * slime.el (slime-display-buffer-region): Hacked to fix completely
 >> inexplicable XEmacs problems.
 >>
 >> Thank you! I was about to ask whether SLIME is expected to work with
 >> XEmacs. I guess the question still stands -- should I report
 >> problems encountered with XEmacs, or is it a known fact that it
 >> acts, well, strange?

 Luke> You're welcome :-). Definitely we're supposed to be XEmacs
 Luke> compatible. In practice it's not always quite right, because
 Luke> primarily I use GNU 21 and Helmut uses GNU 20. So, by all means,
 Luke> please report XEmacs problems to the list and we'll fix 'em up.

Ok -- first of all, it seems that after the latest commits XEmacs
started working quite well. Many thanks for that. There are some people
(like me) who do use XEmacs and intend to continue using it :-)

I've found one minor nit -- in my XEmacs when walking the compiler notes
with M-n and M-p, the currently highlighted expression has its font
changed to a smaller one. That results in fairly annoying behavior.  The
font only changes in the currently highlighted expression, it doesn't
change before I press M-n to go to the first compiler note, and it
changes back to normal after I stop walking the notes or after I switch
to the next one.

Also, there is another problem which I've stumbled upon -- SLIME seems
to have problems interpreting warnings related to the SERIES package
(tested using CMUCL). It does notice that there is a problem (and
highlights corresponding expressions correctly), but doesn't display any
notes for it.

Here's a closer description of what SLIME sees, stolen from the
*slime-events* buffer:

(:read-output "Warning 28 in series expression:\n")
(:read-output "(SERIES:COLLECT-FN 'FLOAT\n")
(:read-output "                   (CONSTANTLY 0.0)\n")
(:read-output "                   (LAMBDA (V1 V2) (+ V1 (SIGNUM V2)))\n")
(:read-output "                   RETURNS)\n")
(:read-output "Non-series to series data flow from:\n")
(:read-output "RETURNS\n")
(:read-output "to:\n")
(:read-output "(SERIES:COLLECT-FN 'FLOAT\n")
(:read-output "                   (CONSTANTLY 0.0)\n")
(:read-output "                   (LAMBDA (V1 V2) (+ V1 (SIGNUM V2)))\n")
(:read-output "                   RETURNS)\n")
(:read-output "\n")
(:read-output "; \n")
(:read-output "; \n")

I hope this helps...