[slime-devel] Re: * load-pathname*, *load-truename*

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Dec 14 20:23:23 UTC 2003

Daniel Barlow <dan at telent.net> writes:

> > Do you need this often?
> >
> > This is a bit too DWIMish for my taste and I think slime-load-file
> > should be used in such situations.
>
> I'm not so sure: we already DWIM as far as setting *package* from the
> file's package is concerned, and I don't think anyone's going to argue
> that that's a bad thing: is it so much more wrong to set
> *compile-file-pathname*?

We should shadow as few variables as possible, especially in important
commands like eval-defun and eval-last-expression.  I think
*load-{true,path}name* are used relatively rarely and only in code
that is supposed to be executed at load time.  Binding these variables
in eval commands doesn't feel right to me.  Setting
*compile-file-pathname* even more so.  The inconvenience of using
slime-load-file in these situations is IMO justified.

Of course, this is just my opinion.  If you think it is a good idea,
change the code and let's try it for some time.

> (There's also a possibility that setting *cfp* during function
> compilation makes the implementation remember where the function came
> from such that M-. is more likely to continue working afterwards.
> That depends on the implementation, obviously.)

I'd be surprised if *compile-file-pathname* where not shadowed by
COMPILE or COMPILE-FILE.