[slime-devel] * load-pathname*, *load-truename*

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Sun Dec 14 10:14:09 UTC 2003

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Alan Ruttenberg <alanralanr at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> One might argue that evaluating or loading a compiled expression
>> inside an emacs buffer visiting a file should be as close as possible
>> to what happens when the file is loading.
>
> Do you need this often?
>
> This is a bit too DWIMish for my taste and I think slime-load-file
> should be used in such situations.

I'm not so sure: we already DWIM as far as setting *package* from the
file's package is concerned, and I don't think anyone's going to argue
that that's a bad thing: is it so much more wrong to set
*compile-file-pathname*?

I often write code that accesses files in the same directory as the
source (or a directory with a fixed relation to the source code).
Because I always use systems to load code, *default-pathname-defaults*
is not necessarily the right place, so I like to use *load-pathname*
to get the right place.  This doesn't currently work if I C-c C-c the
relevant form.

(There's also a possibility that setting *cfp* during function
compilation makes the implementation remember where the function came
from such that M-. is more likely to continue working afterwards.
That depends on the implementation, obviously.)

-dan

--

 http://web.metacircles.com/ - Open Source software development and support