[slime-devel] Re: cmucl multithread problem

Raymond Toy rtoy at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 16:02:11 UTC 2003

Wolfhard Buß wrote:
> William Conrad Halliburton:
>

>>Using cmucl 18e and a CVS from a couple of days
>>ago. (mp::startup-idle-and-top-level-loops) from slime-repl hangs
>>slime-repl but works when ran from inferior-lisp (slime-repl still
>>works afterwards).
>

> slime-repl on CMUCL 18e doesn't work with expressions consisting of
> more than ~450 characters. I followed a hint of Helmut on cmucl-imp,
> and set the last parameter of the call to system:read-n-bytes in
> lisp::read-into-simple-string to t. That seems to fix the problem with

Yes, this is a known bug which is fixed in the latest snapshots and will
also be fixed for 19a.  I'm not 100% sure, but if you set the last
parameter to T, you'll now get errors on EOF, which might not be the
right thing.  I think there was a replacement function posted that
doesn't have this issue.  You can put this in your .cmucl-init.lisp.

Ray