[slime-devel] Re: OpenMCL

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Fri Dec 12 18:51:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 07:18:50PM +0100, Luke Gorrie wrote:
> It would be great if the folks already using SLIME with multithreaded
> programs can post a note about what features you want the most (if you
> haven't already), and which Lisp you're using.

(This is more of a general debugging thing, with SBCL/CMUCL)

Is there a way to, once you're in the SLIME debugger, to throw out to the
tty-mode debugger?  Sometimes I'm stuck wanting to do something that sldb
cannot (like list-locations, setting breakpoints, etc.), and there's no way to
get there and save the debugger state.  You have to abort completely and get
the debugger to show up again in *inferior-lisp*.  If threads are going to
automatically trigger sldb, this is a bigger problem as even that escape hatch
is gone.

(wishful-thinking "Of course, raising SLIME's debugging integration to the
 level of one of the commercial lisps (I've used Xanlysis's debugger, and think
 it's great) would be an acceptible substitute.  Setting breakpoints in the
 source would be far, far cooler than supporting list-locations.  :)")

-bcd