[slime-devel] Re: Rape/Steal/Pillage

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Tue Dec 9 13:59:06 UTC 2003

Alain.Picard at memetrics.com writes:

> Dear Slimers,
>
> Well, it hadda happen, I started using SLIME in earnest,
> as a full-blown replacement to ILISP.  Of course, this
> immediately lead to annoyance at the many missing features.

I must have been an ILISP caveman -- we already have more features
than I ever learned to use in ILISP. It's good to have you more
discerning users around to teach us about the rest :-)

> what is the avowed policy of this project with regards to borrowing¹
> the missing features of ilisp?

If the code is good then let's use it. If it could be done better,
let's rewrite it.

Everything in SLIME gets rewritten a few times anyway. :-)

> I'm thinking in particular of all the buffer-movement, narrow-to-X
> and reindentation commands, for a start.

Which the buffer-movement commands do you mean?

It looks like the `narrow-to-X' commands come from lisp-mode in Emacs
and we only need to bind them to keys. Reindentation is mostly the
same AFAICS. I could be missing something though.

> It seems silly to rewrite all this, given that it all works. All
> that would be needed is some poor schmuck² to import only the strict
> minimum

The whole plan sounds good to me. But I predict the final result will
be 1-2 pages of totally new code :-)

> p.s. Is it "slimers" or "slimeys"?  :-)

Either suits me, nor would I object to "slimesters" :-)

Cheers,
Luke