[slime-devel] Rape/Steal/Pillage

Alain.Picard at memetrics.com Alain.Picard at memetrics.com
Tue Dec 9 07:15:30 UTC 2003

Dear Slimers,

Well, it hadda happen, I started using SLIME in earnest,
as a full-blown replacement to ILISP.  Of course, this
immediately lead to annoyance at the many missing features.

Now, it turns out that many of these missing features are
really just editing conveniences, and don't have a lot
(anything?) to do with emacs<-->lisp communication, so I thought
I'd ask:  what is the avowed policy of this project with regards
to borrowing¹ the missing features of ilisp?  I'm thinking
in particular of all the buffer-movement, narrow-to-X
and reindentation commands, for a start.  It seems silly
to rewrite all this, given that it all works.  All that
would be needed is some poor schmuck² to import only the
strict minimum, track down all the dependencies, and hook
in the keybindings, taking care not to trounce too much
exising ones without reason or debate.

Opinions?

¹ Ok, maybe the subject line is more accurate than this euphemism.
² Yeah, I know.  Probably _me_.

p.s. Is it "slimers" or "slimeys"?  :-)