[slime-devel] eval compile dwim

jan janmar at iprimus.com.au
Sun Dec 7 03:31:26 UTC 2003

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> We can add a command like, but the keybinding is probably a bit
> controversial.

I wouldn't clutter the interface with it unless it is going to be
widely used. It took a few minutes to write, anyone who wants to can
easily roll their own.

>> How do other people typically interact with lisp?
>> What are the most commonly used commands?
>
> I rarely use the REPL. I insert the snippets I want to try in the
> buffer near the code (often in a comment) or the slime-scratch
> buffer (I globally bind C-c s to slime-selector and use that for
> buffer switching).  I run the code with C-x C-e and compile it with
> C-c C-c.  C-x C-e also works in comments.  I use C-M-x only to call
> slime-re-evaluate-defvar.  C-c C-p is convenient when something
> returns a long list.  M-., C-c C-d and C-c C-a are probably the
> commands I use most often.

Thanks Helmut, this kind of description is valuable to me since I've
never met another lisper face to face and can't learn by watching
someone at work.

I was also wondering about navigation within functions, do you use
line/word movement functions or sexp/list movement functions more?

--
jan