[slime-devel] eval compile dwim

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Dec 5 08:41:03 UTC 2003

jan <janmar at iprimus.com.au> writes:

> I thought this might be helpful, but maybe I'm missing something.

We can add a command like, but the keybinding is probably a bit
controversial.

> How do other people typically interact with lisp?
> What are the most commonly used commands?

I rarely use the REPL. I insert the snippets I want to try in the
buffer near the code (often in a comment) or the slime-scratch buffer
(I globally bind C-c s to slime-selector and use that for buffer
switching).  I run the code with C-x C-e and compile it with C-c C-c.
C-x C-e also works in comments.  I use C-M-x only to call
slime-re-evaluate-defvar.  C-c C-p is convenient when something
returns a long list.  M-., C-c C-d and C-c C-a are probably the
commands I use most often.