[slime-devel] SLIME on a local socket

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:10:10 UTC 2003

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> I don't know why people are so keen to use a setup where the Lisp and
> Emacs are on different machines, but whenever I tried to do something
> like that (e.g, with remote-compile) it didn't work very well and I
> always run Emacs on the same machine.

With Distel I do this for debugging, though not development. We build
"network appliances" that traditionally haven't been able to have
Emacs on them (small flashdisks), so I make a very SLIME-like
connection to them over a socket when I need to poke around (in
Erlang).

I think the tricky part is filesystem operations. Currently in CVS we
assume a shared filesystem, but if you stay away from FS-related
operations you can probably still do some useful things without
one. Brian's patch adds support for having a shared filesystem but
with different mount points (apparently common with SMB). On Cliki,
Rahul Jain suggested we integrate with Tramp (Emacs remote editing
package). Maybe there is an opporunity to do something Fancy with the
`host' field of logical pathnames even?

My own setup doesn't need this stuff, so I'm happy to wait and see
what the other guys come up with :-)

-Luke