[Seattle] Fwd: Seattle CL People?

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 16:13:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:08 AM, Clint Moore <clint at ivy.io> wrote:

> I'm using sbcl, and waiting for llvm to build so I can build clasp.

A LLVM infrastructure might be a healthy development.  One of those "wait
and see" propositions though.  Clasp upon its release was cautioning it was
100x slower than SBCL.  Clasp 0.2 claims a "2x" improvement over something;
does that mean it's now only 50x slower?
https://drmeister.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/release-0-2-of-clasp-is-available/
I'll leave it to others to chase down the benchmarks.  I just expect these
things to take a long time to bear fruit.  Like the Julia guys for
instance, their performance claims and desire to compete with FORTRAN sound
great, until you drill down and realize they only have "stop the world"
garbage collection.  Meaning, they haven't even gotten into the real work
yet.

Cheers,
Brandon