[Seattle] Fwd: Seattle CL People?

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 21:45:06 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Clint Moore <clint at ivy.io> wrote:

> I'm trying to remember why I last gave up on Haskell, other than the usual
> weirdness issues.  I think because, FP purity doesn't seem relevant to game
> simulations?  Keeping and modifying state seems to be what many games
> actually are.
>
>   Ok then.  Nevermind.

This is the core point worth discussing, as pure vs. impure and strict vs.
lazy  can definitely impact certain application areas.

I did go around the block with OCaml back in the day.  My issues with it
were more on the practical implementation side.  It had a tedious C FFI
that wanted to steal bits of numerical representations for its own GC
benefit, and IIRC it didn't believe in single precision floats.  Those were
pretty important to the memory and processing constraints of games 10 years
ago, and probably still are now.

F# came along and I've looked at that more than once.  I've always been
struck by how lackluster the interfacing to the DirectX universe is from
the .NET side of things though.  First MS pretty much made a turkey of
Managed DirectX.  Then they shipped XNA for several years, got a fair
amount of indie interest, and then abandoned it.  The leading DirectX /
.NET bridge is a third party library, SharpDX.  SlimDX was another one but
IIRC they're in remission now.  Going the .NET route, you still deal with
GC.  I looked at some of the F# benchmarks recently and I don't remember
them being all that great.

Pretty sure I looked at Haskell benchmarks too recently.

Cheers,
Brandon