[LispSea] instruction then presentation

Bruce Butterfield b.butterfield at f5.com
Mon Jun 26 20:23:14 UTC 2006

> What's needed is a demonstration of code maturing from blank
> canvas to just-get-something-working to various directions
> of "what if?" before settling on what's right for the task
> at hand.
>

> 	We could structure our sessions with the first 30
> minutes for instruction and the next hour or so as deeper
> presentation, show & tell, etc.

I agree this is a good approach but I do think that the emphasis has to
be on how to do things 'The Lisp Way (tm).' I have found Marco
Baringer's video demos
<http://http://www.cl-user.net/asp/web-sites/slime-video>,
<http://www.cl-user.net/asp/web-sites/ucw-video>) useful in how the lisp
development process can work; I would be very interested in learning how
to think in lisp -- CLOS, macros, "bottom-up, top-down" approaches,
idioms, etc. Common Lisp is a general purpose language, with acute
accent on 'general' so it would be great to see how different developers
attack similar problems.