[LispSea] OpenGL demos

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 05:09:37 UTC 2006

Justin Grant wrote:
> When can you start on the LispSea 3D demos ?

When I have the Chicken Scheme CMake build working properly, then an
OpenGL binding, and have also finished the signature gathering season in
Washington.  Realistically?  1 month from now.  I gotta disappear to
Yakima, perhaps as soon as tomorrow afternoon.  I got burned out on
signature gathering for the past month, lost a LOT of income because it
was the peak of the season.  But I made major milestones on the CMake
build, to the point that it's 95% done.  Got more amped about
programming and recuperated from signature burnout.  So now I have to
hit the Walmarts and make up my slack.  Such is life when one doesn't
get paid to program!

It will have to be Chicken Scheme demos, for now.  It will also have to
be procedural content, programmed by hand by me.  Dealing with 3D model
imports of any kind, is beyond the scope of what I'm personally going to
take on right now.  With a partner providing that capability, that would
change.

Common Lisp demos are also beyond my scope right now.  First I'd need to
see SBCL working decently on Windows.  I know there's Corman Lisp, but
I'm not gonna fork over for it, given the overwhelming amount of work
I've put into getting Chicken Scheme up to snuff.  I think Scheme, and
particularly Chicken Scheme, is probably better for embedding a language
into a game anyways.  Not that I want to do 2 language development, I
rather despise that programming model, but I think it's what other game
developers will realistically pay attention to.  My interest in Common
Lisp is merely whether I can get paid, and ancilliary concerns like do
CL demos create a job market.  I'm not prepared to do an OpenGL binding
for Common Lisp either, not for awhile at any rate, so I hope SBCL has a
usable one.  I haven't paid attention to CL C FFI bugaboos lately.  9
months ago, I said, "To heck with that!" and went with Chicken Scheme.
For Windows, it was the right choice at the time.

Caveat: if out-of-state signature gathering looks lucrative and not
politically objectionable (I won't do gay-bashing measures), I may go do
that.  If by some freak accident I have paying programming work, that
will affect my priorities.  But I anticipate that 1 month from now, I'll
be working on the OpenGL stage of my conquest plan.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every