[LispSea] so much for stone soup

Brian Rice briantrice at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 04:33:15 UTC 2006

This is absurd - you haven't even met or called me yet. I can do
several presentations just off-the-cuff as long as the venue is quiet
and people are ready for it.

I don't intend to do a lot of pre-planning, because I work my ass off
already on a startup and am not going to lay it on the line for a user
group. But I love explaining concepts, sharing ideas, and showing
things off - one of my favorite jobs has always been tutoring, and I'm
quite good at it when I have the energy.

If you want a consultants' support group, great, but don't expend all
this energy trying to manipulate us via email and then be disappointed
before the first meeting.

People need a chance to get together and decide what kind of social
space they'd like to create. Don't decide by fiat one way or the other
for everyone just because of your personal tempo and expectations.

On 7/3/06, Daniel J Pezely <djp06 at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Maybe I've been stuck in an outmoded idea...
>
> Maybe there is no longer much use for the kind of users' group that I've
> been advocating.
>
>         Then again, I foolishly expected that by putting LispSea in motion
> again, others would step up to action.  Not words-- action.  While I
> don't mind doing the necessary work, I won't do /all/ the work myself.
>

>         I suggest continuing the mailing list solely for purposes of finding
> local Lisp people easily.  Nothing more.
>
> That is, you won't receive another post by me on this list unless I have
> something like a Lisp job to be filled or the seminar/workshop effort
> makes real progress.
>
> Thanks for exploring this idea with me over the past month.
>
> I've already updated the wiki.
> http://wiki.alu.org/lispsea?version=17
>
> Take care,
> -Daniel