[LispSea] instruction then presentation

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 22:13:29 UTC 2006

Daniel J Pezely wrote:
> Brandon wrote:
>>>     Anyone interested in teaching Lisp?
>>
>> Not for $0.
>

> Think bigger!  Who said anything about not getting paid?
>
> It can and should be separate from a "users' group" structure.

Ok, but how about the horse before the cart?  Would like to get a user
group healthy and not confuse it for paid instruction.

> > ... I think we have to motivate people to learn on their own,
> > and provide them resources that help them do that. ...
>
> People have to motivate themselves-- you know, "you can lead a horse
> to water but can't make it drink" and all that.

We could do plenty to make the water more accessible.  Even getting an
open source Lisp or Scheme system set up and operational is a PITA.

>     Having used Lisp in the past, I know that it's a steep two year
> learning curve for Common Lisp.  That's two solid years of progressive
> use and before crossing-over for it becoming one's principal language.

It can be sped up if there's a driving problem with concrete examples.

>     Where does that leave us?  What need would we fill that isn't
> already addressed elsewhere?

Personal interaction, people with specific domain expertise that can
show Lisp or Scheme actually being useful for something.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every