[rucksack-devel] Serialization of chinld objects?

Phil phil at dataxware.co.za
Wed Jun 1 14:27:43 UTC 2011

Sorry about the double posting of the previous message but I kid you
not
evolution crashes each time I try to send a reply to a message on this
list!!!!
--------

The following is taken from the comments in searialize.lisp, is this still true

What do we do when we serialize an object and it turns out to contain
other objects?  There are a few options:
1. Don't allow it: this should be dealt with at a higher level
2. Automatically add the child object to the cache: that means it
   will be saved and we'll get an object-id for the child.  But what if
   the child was already in the cache?  We have no way of knowing that
   and we'll probably create a mess.
3. Just serialize the contents.  This basically assumes that this is the
   only reference to this objects; or, if it isn't, that it doesn't
matter
   if we create more than one copy of this object when we deserialize
   it (and that object identity is irrelevant).
I think I'll go for option 3.

addressed. Please notify
the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the
named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. If you are not
distributing or taking any
prohibited.