[rucksack-devel] Enhancements - Code?

Phil Marneweck haragx at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 14:26:01 UTC 2011

Sorry about the double posting of the previous message but I kid you not
evolution crashes each time I try to send a reply to a message on this
list!!!!
--------

This is taken from the comments in searialize.lisp, is this still true?

What do we do when we serialize an object and it turns out to contain
other objects?  There are a few options:
1. Don't allow it: this should be dealt with at a higher level
2. Automatically add the child object to the cache: that means it
   will be saved and we'll get an object-id for the child.  But what if
   the child was already in the cache?  We have no way of knowing that
   and we'll probably create a mess.
3. Just serialize the contents.  This basically assumes that this is the
   only reference to this objects; or, if it isn't, that it doesn't
matter
   if we create more than one copy of this object when we deserialize
   it (and that object identity is irrelevant).
I think I'll go for option 3.